In 1998 the building officials from five Eastside cities Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland, Mercer Island, and Redmond began a unified approach to building processes and services. They recognized that many customers work in more than one city; and the lack of uniformity in the processes, interpretations, and codes led to confusion and increases in the cost of doing business. The building officials began working together to share information, agree upon standards, and pool resources - in other words, governments working together to accomplish similar needs.
To improve building code consistency between the cities, they created easy-to-read information bulletins, adopted common ordinances that regulate construction, provided co-sponsored training seminars, and partnered with businesses in the community. This vision has evolved into the nation's first multi-jurisdictional online permitting portal. MyBuildingPermit.com now serves the Washington State jurisdictions of: Bellevue, Bothell, Burien, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mercer Island, Mill Creek, Newcastle, Renton, Sammamish, Snohomish County, Snoqualmie, and Woodinville.
MyBuildingPermit.com Services Timeline
- 1998: Building Officials began work on regional collaboration
- 2002: MyBuildingPermit.com launched with four over-the-counter permits
- 2005: Permit Status module launched
- 2007: Online Inspection module launched
- 2010: New transaction engine implemented
- 2011: ePlan Phase 1 implemented, simple plan review applications offered
- 2013: ePlan Phase 2 implemented, all development applications offered
- 2014: Online Inspection module updated